I follow marketing news, so you don’t have to. Here are favorite rules and tips from marketing gurus. Enjoy!
Three Marketing Rules
1) Selling is Out: People have been oversold. They’re cynical and suspicious. Traditional “selling” doesn’t work anymore. It turns people off.
2) Attention is Rare: Research shows we’re bombarded with 3,000 – 20,000 marketing messages a day, but only 12 make an impression.
3) Volume is Annoying : People are overwhelmed with tasks and activities. Just adding to the volume is unappealing. Be targeted, personal and relevant.
Three Marketing Tips
1) Use Your 6.5 Seconds: FCB, a top global ad agency, reveals we have 6.5 seconds to engage our listeners or they tune out. You have just enough time to entice interest. After they engage, you can explain more.
2) Say it with Picture-Words: Memory research reveals that pictures stick and concepts slip. Case in point, Tom told me “I distributes large scale vehicles used in commercial environments”. After probing, I discovered Tom sells fire-trucks. Which would you remember? Fire-trucks! Use words that evoke a picture or experience. They’re powerful & sticky.
3) People Want to Like You First: Like-ability is huge. Too often we focus on expertise and forget that personal connection is important. No one will care about our expertise, if they don’t like us first.