As virtual work increases stress & diminishes motivation, time to lead team-members to positive and productive change, here’s how
Identify the Goal
Strategize Success in 5 Steps
1. Identify: Name the behavior as a pattern that’s impeding their success.
2. Instance: Share a recent instance of a specific example you personally witnessed.
3. Impact: Explain the negative impact on results and relationships, without anger or criticism. Be observational: “When …… happens, I notice that……and the impact is…….”
4. Intervene: Describe how the individual can improve. Be specific: “It will be much more successful if you do this….., instead of …….”
5. Inform: Alert the individual that you’ll intervene immediately, if you notice the pattern in the future. The goal is to help them recognize and shift immediately, in the moment. Emphasize your goal to help them succeed in this tough environment.
Implement the Change
Build Success in 2 Steps:
1. Interrupt: As soon as the pattern appears, call a time-out. “Observe” what’s happening in the moment. Be supportive and encouraging. It takes repeated real-time practice for a new habit to take hold.
2. Implement Immediately: Ask the person to shift to the new strategy, immediately. Give them lots of encouragement. Show appreciation for their willingness to work with you, in the moment.
Repeat: Changing a habit is hard. The best way to build a new habit is to build a new behavior repeatedly, in real-time.
Note: The key is leader tone. A genuine desire to support success and an encouraging attitude is essential. A punitive, frustrated or critical tone will just increase the disengagement. If you need to vent your frustration and plan your leadership strategy, contact me, that’s what I’m here for.
(This assumes that the individual is willing to change. If not, this process will reveal that, as well.)