Technology allowed people to work from home and stay in touch with clients. It was a needed vehicle, not the solution. The solution that clients want is human advice. The CFA 2020 Global Trust Report found:
- 70% of U.S. investors believe a personal financial advisor will be more important in the next three years
- Among 15 major countries, Americans are the most interested in human advice
- 81% of U.S. investors use a financial advisor as their primary source of trusted advice
Technology was important in 2020, but nothing replaces the power of relationship. Keep delivering the power of human advice.
My informal nationwide poll found advisors greatly increased proactive communication in 2020. It paid off. Clients were highly appreciative. Even more, advisors report more referrals and more new business in 2020, despite the lockdowns.
Keep up the power of proactive personal communication: video, phone, in-person (as possible). It works!
The power of human connection is the personal attention and personalized service. In an increasingly tech-driven world, people want to know that you are paying attention to them, specifically.
Take every opportunity to highlight:
- How your service is personalized to client needs & wants
- Personal milestones and successes from work together
- Your knowledge and interest in their specifics
Notably, the research data on what client’s value did not mention generalized automated marketing content: no form letters, newsletters, or social media posts.
Digital marketing is automated, but not personal. It gets your name in front of clients on a regular basis, and with efficiency. It’s useful for name recognition, but not connection.
The real power of automated general marketing is the time it saves you. Use it to spend your time personally connecting.